Friday, April 20, 2007

Adopting a Greenstone Puppy.

Hello Folks

Been getting alot of inquires about puppies and having the same questions asked again and again.. So here are a few of the most common questions and answers



Question : Do you have any puppies available right now?

Answer : The Icelandic Sheepdog is a very rare breed and I have limited breedings of litters per year, some years maybe one litter, some years up to three litters, some years none. I maintain a waiting list, the puppy owners to be on the waiting list have spoken with me, filled out my puppy application, been approved and have put their puppy deposit in place. Most of the time, all my puppies are pre-reserved before even being born! The odd time, I will have more males or females or I might have a puppy I kept back to watch how it grows out for a few extra weeks as I myself are thinking about keeping it, and decide that it will in fact be placed as a pet puppy..

So the odds of having a puppy available right now, are slim to none..However if you are truly interested in the Iceland Sheepdog Breed and a Greenstone Puppy, then I would recommend that you email me, have a visit, fill out the puppy application and send in your deposit to reserve your spot and therefor your future puppy.

As it is likely that your Icelandic will live 12 to 15 years, needing to compete to waiting for a few months or in some case six months to a year to get just the right puppy for you and your family makes alot of sense.



Question: What is the cost of your puppies?


Answer: My pet puppies at this time start at a thousand dollars and range up to fifteen Hundred dollars, with my Show/Breeding dogs starting at 2500 and going higher depending on quality and bloodline.

and while this comment threw me the first couple times asked, NO, I do not know of any CROSS-BREED cheap ISD puppies available.



Question: Do my puppies have any vaccines done?

Answer: Good Question and yes, they do, If the mother has had her vaccine booster within six months of birth of litter, the puppies are done at eight, twelve and sixteen weeks so in that case if you got your puppy home at ten weeks, it would have one set of its required vaccine shots.

If the mother is in the second half of her year, I tend to play it safe and I will start the vaccines at six weeks, ten weeks and fourteen weeks, in which case if your puppy comes home at ten weeks, it would have two set of its required Vaccines shots.

My puppy are at min, vet checked twice, once at each vaccine and once before leaving for it new home, I like to have them formally vet checked between 48 to 24 hours before they leave, so that I know and have written proof from my vet that they left in picture perfect health.


Question: Do you do anything extra with your puppies?

Answer: Our Puppies have their Formal CERF exam and a photocopy of their results and their parent results will be given in their puppy package. Our Puppies have a formal temperment test, and a photocopy of their result are available if the owners are interested, to go into their puppy package. A formal structure evaulation is done, and photocopy of the paperwork is available to go in their puppy package. A formal Puppy Herding test is done, and the results are available and will be included in the puppy package for interested folks.

We also give a one year membership to the Canadian Icelandic Sheepdog Club with each of our puppies. For possable show/performance dogs, I also have started doing a un-offical x-ray, to check on the hip health of the puppy before place it in its new home.


Well that's it for now, and I will update this information in the future.



A Greenstone pup is worth the wait! Expect the Best!

No comments: