Friday, February 23, 2007

Exercise is important for your Iceland Sheepdog



Hello Folks

I often have folks ask me how much exercise the Icelandic Sheepdog need? I normally reply that they need at least 30 min of some kind of Exercise twice a day.. this can include walks, playing ball in the back yard, going to the dog park to run with other dogs, swimming in the pool, lake or river depending (a article coming on Icelandics and water soon).
For my own dogs, I try and take them out for at least two "free" runs daily in the fields, and then they get about an hour or two playing at will in the dog yards, and or in the living room, up and down on the sofa, and lots of foot and mouth play.
It is important for the health of your puppy that you do not force any excerise on them, they should have lots of free play time, but try hard not to take them on long walks or hikes where they "have" to walk back.. if the puppy is truly tired better to pack him or her out then force a tired pup to do that walk back, which is why I recommend free play time in the yard, have puppy parties with friends with other dogs, or a local dog park etc.
Once they are older, they still sometimes don't understand how long you are planning on hiking or walking etc, so in that case, I normally recommend they start out on leash, and then once they understand we are going for the day or afternoon, I will let them off leash, and they will then pace themselves.
Its a good idea to pack water for your dogs and makes sure they get lots of chances to have a drink on the walk, in the summer its worth keep a close eye on their overall condition and body temp, you certainly don't want them to get overheated and with those lovely double coats, it can happen, In the summer I tend to do most of my runs early morning or later evening, the dogs as always are willing to do with you anytime, so its up to your as the pack leader to inforce the rules :)
A new photo of Greenstone Born in a Storm and Pineridge Vaskur hanging out with me on a run this week..
Barks

No comments: