Saturday, March 24, 2007

Pet Food Recall- Greenstone Kennel Not Effected by Recalls

Hello Folks

Well, have been busy already this morning and its not even nine.. big yawn.. Wow is my world busy right now, had one mother goat half way reject this one daughter (loves the other one) so still needing to go down X amount of times per day and put the momma in a milking stand to baby's can nurse, and my more recent mother is having some milking issues of her own and needs warm composts put on her six times a day and because she is not milking as much as I would expect, I am also putting her kids for extra on my one old very heavy milking doe..

That old gal produces close to a gallon a day and she only has one kid, so she feeds her own, plus gives extra to the twins that need it, and I am still able to finish her off and get about four cups of milk for the house, and she has the sweetest milk, I don't know what it is about her milk but its the best darn Goats milk I have personally ever had, love it.. Am planning on keeping back her daughter this year and seeing if she gives the same qaulity as her mother..

So needless to say, I have been doing the set the alarm and go to the barn at night, and again at 5 am in the morning etc.. and then running with the dogs, out again with them today in training, but its coming along well.. I am getting tired and I am still fighting whatever flu or cold I had.

Ok, I felt that I should post a link on what is happening with the dog food recalls, I found a link and write up that appears to be about the facts instead of about personal feelings on the issue.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17754681

I highly recommend that you check your dog foods and read your labels very carefully and make sure you are not feeding any of these foods.

As for Greenstone Kennel, we do feed a dry dog food base, but it is not one of the effected dog foods, (Please note that almost all effected Dog foods, are wet food) but if this changes I will update on it.

I have never been so happy as right now, that I make all wet foods for my own dogs, I knew when we moved to the farm, that I really wanted to raise my own meat, eggs and have my own farm fresh milk as well as garden, so that I could help control what we were eating.

When I started my small flock of chickens it was intended for eggs for us, but I quickly saw just how great the extra eggs went over with the dogs and cats, and so I added in more hens for that purpose, and now the dogs get their farm fresh free range Eggs on a regular basis in their diet..

I also make an freeze the Barf Diet, Veggie/Meat Paddies, and I try hard to use all my own naturally reared meat for the patties etc, and locally grown veggies if at all possable.

I had a letter last night about the recall from a puppy owner, and the best advice I can give is, instead of buying wet food, consider making your own, and make a large batch and freeze it into the portion sizes you want in Freezer bags and just pull the bags as needed, If you make a big batch and you only have one dog, and you are feeding a good dry dog food base, then the odds are good that you would have either a week or two weeks extra food per batch you made.

I had to smile a bit at one of the seminar's I went to once, the very well known and respected judge was talking about dog food, and that you needed to buy only certain kinds so that you got "the best ingredients" now the reason that I had to smile (after she slammed my dry dog food choice, left, right and sideways) is because I used to live in Innisfail Alberta, and they have one of the largest Purina Dog Food plants, and my older brother worked there in high school, and while the formula's do change depending on what dog food they are making, the basic stuff (as this recall is showing, the wheat) does not, and so therefor, 30 dollars a bag or 60 dollars a bag, the overall basics are the same, its normally the protein and the advertizing that makes the price.

So if you want total control of your dogs food, buying a higher prices bag of food is really not the answer, the answer is to make it yourself, BUT if you are considering doing this, you need to go and buy a few good dog Menu books and follow them, so that your dogs are getting balanced diets.

Or in the case of Greenstone, we buy a good quality dry dog food and then we raise the quality of the dogs diet though fresh eggs, fresh goats milk, Fresh Veggie patties etc.

Ok, I had better get on with my day.. Have a good one folks

Barks

No comments: