Thursday, March 15, 2007

Greenstone Icelandics-Always on a learning Curve


Hello Folks


As a Dog owner/Breeder we are always learning, and on a wide number of subjects, a good breeder is always working on learning about Dogs in general, how they think, how they react, how to breed and or train for for and with their natural temperment.
We need to spend hours learning about Canine health, Canine Structure, and as a breeder, we need to learn how to whelp and raise puppies, breed to improve Temperments, Health and maintain/improve breed Type.
Then if you add in doggy sports (which we do) in Conformation, there is conditioning in all ways, a good show dog needs to be good in so many ways, and you as the owners need to help work toward it as a team, you need to learn grooming (and there is much more to it, then bathing and brushing the dog once a week) on average, my show dogs are groomed daily, and my regular grooming is once a week.


As you can see on the blog last year, I was able to attend two Pat Hastings Seminars, one in the spring, no Icelandics there, just able to sit back and learn, and one in the fall, where I was a fair amount busier as I had a litter of Icelandics at the seminar as guest puppies for evaulation.


While I will be attending a number of training seminars and camps this year, the first of the year will be a Myra Harris Two day seminar, Myra is famous for Canine Reproduction & Whelping and Puppy Intensive Care.


She has two books on the subject and I am looking forward to learning more, I have been so far, knock on wood, very lucky in how few issues and problems I have had with my litters, my mothers have been wonderful, mostly easy births with very healthy puppies, but better to learn when you get the chance, then to wish you did later.


If you would like to learn more, her website is listed below..


Barks


No comments: