Monday, March 05, 2007

Icelandic Sheepdogs Agility and herding update.

Hello Folks

Well, It would be fair to say I am busy at this time :) I am backed up about a week on email so if you have wrote me, I will be working my way thought it today and tomorrow, As you know we have been lambing and kidding, so alot more time out in the barn lately. We have also been getting ready for the coming dog show, so daily grooming session and I am thrilled with how good my little girls coat looks!, plus 3 short times a day training sessions, one on the grooming table, One free stacks on the ground and one hand stacking on the ground.. Plus three dogs getting three agility mini trains per day..

Although they said it was going to be nasty and stormy this weekend, it was in fact fairly mild with some snow, so lots of dog runs, and barn work as well as indoor house work, it was mild enough to throw the windows open and do some spring cleaning, (lots more of that needed as always LOL) but it was a good start anyway.. many wheel barrols of compost from the stalls of the barn later, the time as always just flew by.. snuck in time on Saturday for a new hair cut and color for the coming dog show :)

Ok, so on to dog related things, well we had Frejya have her first regular Agility training class, she has a eight other dogs in class, all bigger then her but one.. Very nice group of folks, and nice dogs, it was very good, normally Freyja does most of her training in my privates and so getting her into a formal class is good, she starts Puppy agility at Dream Fields, check it out on the link if you would like. The rest of my classes are at my normal training school, Best Friends

http://www.bfdogtraining.ca/

http://www.dreamfields.com/

Anyway, it was a very good class, and I was able to practise for show training with stacks and holds etc, while waiting my turn, always a good thing. Freyja did well, she did every tasks asked and while she does slow down while learning something new, she will pick up her speed again after she understands what you are asking for.

So the lambs are so cute, I will admit to being guilty of maybe spending a few resting min just watching the lambs play.. amazing to me how they bunch together already, and I had Freyja out with me in the barn, as I always say to Jason, the dogs can't learn manners around the barn and critters if they don't get to come with us and learn what is considered proper or not.. Freyja lately has wanted to really chase the chickens and turkeys, so we have been working on that..

Needless to say, I did wonder if the adult sheep would be more on edge with the little wee ones, and until they are older, no working the sheep but I did introduce Freyja to some very interested lambs, it was very calm and controlled but of course she could move them with the slightest movement.. I can see that I will have a great deal of fun with the lambs when bigger working them with the dogs.. my older girls are so dog broke, that it will be a pleasure to work with some new fresh blood so to speak..

Barks

No comments: