Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Judges Perspective on "Older type Dogs vs Current type Dogs"

Hello Folks,

If I had a dime for everytime some said, "but I saw a photo of a older ISD in year XXX and it looked like this" I would be a very rich women indeed. I loved how this judge addresses this issue, because its a very valid point, the judges are to be judging by the CURRENT standard, on the dogs that are in the ring on that GIVEN day.

I think that its important to remember that any dog can do well once or twice in the show ring, but that its those with staying power that can place in Group under many different judges, that are going to be the type that will move forward in the future, and providing they meet the FCI breed standard, then finer points and tweeks along the way is well within the norm.

"What you do today, brings you closer to where you want to be tomorrow."


"In my Breed Rough Collies, the Standard here has been changed nine times since 1864.

To learn about the "Old Greats" is certainly worthwhile in ones own breed. I do not believe that this knowledge has any relation with judging my breed today.

As a judge, I am expected to judge what I see in the ring "today," and judge said animals according to current Standard.

If one had to wait until something favouring the "Old Greats" comes along, I would still be there in the next Millennium.

I know folk would like to see some breeds revert back in time? but for me what has been has been.

The clock must move on, otherwise I would be judging in a frock coat and the lady exhibitors would be struggling in their crinolines.

There should be no need for any new judge to have to study the "Old Greats" in any new breeds, they may get the wrong ideal into their heads.

When you go to buy clothes for your children, I feel sure you do not go seeking what Elvis was wearing, so it should be with judging.

Just listening all the time to "Old Timers" reminiscing can be fun, but please move into 2008 and ensure you are judging to Current Standards.

Hugh Jones(Seafire Collies) 77 years old

No comments: