Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wow! Black Bear just came though! Thank goodness for solid recalls on the dogs!

Hello Folks

Well, Jason and I were out doing night chores with a few dogs out having their turn of a outside run time, the rest of the dogs were outside in the dog yard, and we had all our free range chickens out, as well as sheep/lamps, Goats and Kids out grazing, and suddenly the dogs are started acting up.. I mean, hair up and raising one heck of a noise level..

So we are working at this time on one of our raised garden beds, and I look up to see a black bear crossing our road, he is clipping right along till he gets to the creek bridge and I go, that is Black bear, Jason runs into the house to get the looking glass to see if I am right (I was raised in the bush for years, I know what a bears looks like, and move like.. and sure enough, he stops to look back at us in perfect profile and then crosses the bridge and heads on down the creek bed..

someone in a truck spotted him, because within min there was a couple trucks pulling up to see if they could spot him..Needless to say, thank goodness the dogs recalled on their comes, would not even want to think about what would have happened if they had taken off after the bear, and we have rounded up the chickens and barn critters and everyone is going into lock down tonight with all doors shut.

That is the first Black bear we have seen here, we have seen them in Ontario before, but not in our back yard so to speak..

Use to see tons of the in the north, and the older dogs have seen them before, sometimes a bit closer then Jason and I would have liked. Funny thing is with Black bears the dogs always have major attitude, but the one time we went across the polar bear, it was a whole different thing, the dogs were freaked, no barking at the polar bear tracks, just low deep growls and hair up, and they kept trying to get infront of me and turn me back from following the tracks..

Barks

No comments: