Monday, November 05, 2007

Greenstone Cool Hand Luke





Hello Folks




I am so excited, The Canadian Association of Dog Trainers is finally holding its yearly three day semiars close enough that I can get to it.. I will be booked in as soon as possable to get to this seminar.




The wonderful long hair puppy above is Greenstone Cool Hand Luke aka Olof, and he is showing off his lovely long coat and show qaulity marked Pied markings, in the second photo, he is show off one of his trick commands, which is of course, Kiss, you can't see the clicker in my hand but its there.. Its such a sweet photo that I had to include it, I rarely put photos of myself up, I know this, I don't really take great photos of me, but this one was just so sweet and cute, I had to share.


The second reason I love this photo, is that Olof is showing off the wonderful breed trait of the ear fold, Icelandic Sheepdogs don't just put their ears back on their heads, they have the abiltiy to fold the ear in half in the middle, this is a very old and rare breed trait that I work hard to keep in my breeding dogs.. now I am sure you are asking.. why would you want to breed a prick eared dog with enough movement in their ears to be able to not only move around and lay down but to fold in the middle.. well in Iceland, the wind blows ALL the time, as it did in Northern Canada when we lived in Nunavut, and the dogs will fold over and close their ears off from really bad winds, now think about how great that would be.. its like having built in ear muffs for blocking wind!! to the best of my knowledge, the Icelandic Sheepdogs are the only ones that do this.. if other breeds do it, I have never found anyone yet that knows about it.


So enjoy the cute kiss photo but also see the old much wanted trait of the Icelandic ear Fold..


Barks

No comments: